Friday 3 February 2017

Starhub - 20% Dividend Cut

Finally it happens.

I bought Starhub after it lost the English Premier League broadcast rights to SingTel.  The steady flow of 20 cents dividends a year or 5 cents a quarter finally comes to an end.

Starhub announced after Friday market close that the company will be paying 4 cents a quarter or 16 cents for financial year 2017.

Starhub was a good dividend master all these year.  It is one of my core holdings and accounted for more than 20% in my portfolio in my earlier days.

I have gradually reduced my exposure to Starhub over the years and it is now just above 8% in my portfolio.  This 20% dividend cut means about 2% reduction in my dividend harvest.  Painful but still tolerable for a 5+% yield.

I am expecting a selldown of Starhub shares when the market opens on Monday.  Perhaps I should sell some Starhub too?   

6 comments:

  1. be greedy when others are afraid and afraid when others are greedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      Good advise. Other good advises include "Don't catch a falling knife" and "Don't throw good money after bad". Which is the correct one?

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. hey there, so what did you hold or sell in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew,

      Pls see my latest post. I decided to keep it in the end.

      Cheers.

      Delete